Tuesday, February 15, 2011

#15 - Bible Verse

"The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qua'ran is mute; if you burned them all together, you'd be close to the truth." - Conor Oberst

I might piss a few people off with this post and I'm going to keep it short to avoid being too preachy (no pun intended).

I don't really buy in to the whole "organized religion" thing. Don't get me wrong. I do not intend to pass judgment on those that do. It has helped many people through very trying times as well as gives them sort sort of faith in something which, given in the right manner, can be a wonderful thing. It has kept people alive. It has helped others grieve with passing. It has offered redemption in some and hope in others. On the other hand, it has also led to more war and strife than anything in the world.

I chose the above quote, because it comes closest to what I believe. I am not an atheist, but rather an agnostic. I believe in a god, but his appearance, vision, philosophy, etc. is not certain. To me, the documents mentioned within the above-stated quote are merely works of faith written by someone and followed by millions. This may be stretching it, but I find more insight through a novel that has been knowingly made up than I do within the thin pages of the Old Testament.

Again, I have faith in a god and he/she may or may not be omnipotent or all-knowing, but it helps to talk to that person even if he/she doesn't take action.

No comments:

Post a Comment