Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#11 - Favorite TV show

"Give all of us gathered here tonight the strength to remember that life is so very fragile. We are all vulnerable, and we will all, at some point in our lives... fall. We will all fall. We must carry this in our hearts... that what we have is special. That it can be taken from us, and when it is taken from us, we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. We will now all be tested. It is these times, it is this pain, that allows us to look inside ourselves." -Friday Night Lights episode 1

And with this quote, my obsession began. Friday Night Lights is the only show I am absolutely obsessed with. Now, when I first heard they were making a television series based upon the movie based upon the H.G. Bissinger memoir, I was less than enthralled. I thought, "This show is going to be the dumbest show on television." Then, as time passed, I kept reading about how great the show was and how it was very underrated. When I saw that the complete first season was on sale for $15, I decided to take a chance. I mean, even if it was bad, it was only $15. All it took was the pilot episode to hook me. I have since recommended this to everybody I know and they all seem to have a deep affection for it, as well. Great characters. Great dialogue. By far, the best acted show I have ever watched on television. Do yourself a favor. Watch the first season and I guarantee you will be captivated.


Honestly, I don't watch a ton of television shows. My interests heavily lean towards film. On the other hand, I do buy a lot of television series on DVD when they are on some sort of crazy sale that I cannot pass up. Netflix instant queue definitely dictates the television I watch, as well. Rescue Me is one of the many shows currently on that I am not caught up on, but enjoy a great deal. Dennis Leary is great as the show's main character, but it is the dialogue within the fire house that makes this show.


I think The Office is absolutely hilarious. I know some people are all gung-ho on the original British series, but I find this one equally entertaining. Meg loves the Jim and Pam love story. Personally, I just enjoy the banter between Dwight and Jim.


Call me a dork, but I love The X-Files. Not in a Friday Night Lights sort of way, but in an I watched this in junior high and am somewhat nostalgic about it. I will admit some of the plot lines are absolutely ridiculous and not all the episodes are as great as the majority, but a great show that was a pop culture phenomenon at one point.


Lost was one of the shows I watched religiously. I even got Meg to watch it and she ended up more obsessed with it than I had been. The problem I have with Lost is that, while the first two seasons kept me captivated, I found myself becoming rather irritated with the show as time passed. I was one of the millions looking for answers and receiving even more questions. I was of the side that was not thrilled or impressed by the series' conclusion. I felt I had watched a show that had had so much promise, but the writers had not had any idea where the show was going so they threw some stuff together for the final season. They explained none of the things viewers had been waiting to find out and then positioned the show as open for interpretation. Problem is, I don't believe they had any idea, but instead tried to convince everyone that they always intended the show as it ended. B.S.


Guilty pleasure alert: Although I do not watch this show anymore since the girl pictured below left the series, I was an avid viewer for a decent amount of time. I even own the first four seasons, because of this girl. One Tree Hill was a show my sister recommended to me and although I found it to be extremely corny I couldn't take my eyes off of the character below. She is the love interest of the show's main character (who is brooding and likes to read, kind of like someone else I know). Again, corny as all hell, but what can I say I'm a sucker for teenage melodrama.

Some other series of mention: Fringe, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Dexter, and Californication

1 comment:

  1. hahaha :) I scrolled down to make sure you included p sawyer :) I went on and on about them for a minute in mine ... it's ok that you only gave them a blurb I know how you really feel :)

    ReplyDelete