Saturday, February 12, 2011

#13 - Goals

I have some silly goals that mostly have to do best-of lists, but there are a few things I consider to be fairly serious when it comes to the goal making department of my brain.

As I've stated before, I want to write the next great American novel. I want to write something that lasts. Something that means something to someone (sort of like how Peyton's art mattered to Lucas....oh my lord, did I just use that reference?). I want to write something honest using the experiences I've had along with those of my friends without alienating anyone or pissing them off. I just want to leave something of worth to this world, to my family, to my not yet existent children, and the best way I believe I can do so is through words. The problem is that I am overly critical of myself and I often beat myself down by thinking what do I have to say that has not yet already been obsessed over, dissected, and brought to the literary public. I like to think I have something, but again overly critical of myself. The best advice I often offer myself (as well as to students) is to just write for you. Write often, write sporadically, write on a schedule, write about nothing, writing about everything. It doesn't matter; just write for you. Take your advice, Danny. Get to it.

This may sound like a silly goal, but I would also just like to provide a safe, happy, and caring existence for my family. To be a great father and show my family that they are loved every day is something of great merit to me. I know this seems silly to list as a goal, but I see parents every day that are considerably lacking in this department, so I don't believe it's that strange to set this for myself. If for nothing else, to at least remind me of how grateful I should be to have a family and to be loved.

One last goal, I plan to receive my doctorate in education. I had never considered this possibility until a few professors at Otterbein pulled me aside and asked me if I had ever considered the option. In their opinion, it is definitely something I should consider, because supposedly I have great insight into how teaching should work. I'm not sure if I would go as far as some of these professors did when analyzing my educational worth, but it definitely got me thinking. So, once I find a teaching job and have worked a few years, I plan to return to school in order to someday receive my doctorate.

Have I bored you yet? I mean, honestly, other than perhaps your mother or your significant other, who wants to read about a person's individual goals? I doubt I have inspired you do to something with your life, which is the only reason I could imagine talking about one's goals would be relevant or beneficial. Regardless, you may now stop reading and go about your own pleasant lives.

1 comment:

  1. you used the One Tree Hill "art matters" I just fell for your knowledge of our show all over again :) you are a great writer and I liked hearing about your goals :)

    ReplyDelete