Sunday, January 30, 2011

A break from today's action.

So, I found something I wrote years ago and against my better judgment I am going to post it for the ridicule of those that care to read this sad excuse for a blog. Might be a song, could be a poem...who knows.

"trying lying for a change, it's the currency of the world" (taken from Closer)

I want to create words that, when you hear them, break your heart
I want to compose a simple melody that slowly tears you apart

I lost myself in endless endeavors, held captive by their strange appeal
I chased reality and a movie screen, still don't know which one's real

and I locked myself inside the music
it's the only thing that's held true
but an old flame came and left with it
and ruined that love too

we spent all our days in the blanket shades
just trying to re-invent the wheel
trying to live past all our old regrets
while calmly lying still
and we broke ties while you broke hearts
but I can't hate you for that
because we turn in circles
wear the ground out
we both knew our love was flat

and you walked off
and you walked off

as children we were preached to, they said,"the pain goes away with age"
so I've spent years of tears, wasted all my time, just waiting for that day

had a friend that said, "I'm old and tired of trying to find the man I'm meant to be"
he said, "if Jesus died for all our sins, then why'd his blood stop short of me?"

and our bodies are cold temples
where great things we're meant to see
but mine's a dark and dirty, empty space
an abandoned distillery

so, we spent all our nights past the sunset fire
thinking "love" was only a word
not knowing that we were just too young
to discover it was something worse
and you spoke so many lies that you
started to take them all as truths
and the summer went and came again
and in between I lost you

and you walked off
and you walked off

1 comment:

  1. this is lovely ... hold on to the dream of writing for a living ... this points to the possibility of it coming true.

    ReplyDelete