Thursday, January 27, 2011

#2 "What signifies knowing the names, if you know not the nature of things." - Benjamin Franklin

Day #2 - The meaning behind my blog name.

Well, let's see...a speculation is defined as "a single instance or process of consideration." It would seem this blog was created as a process of considering life after college; a time where I thought I would reap the benefits of the hard work I had put into a future career. These are my ruminations or meandering thoughts concerning the frustration that runs rampant through my brain. Frustrations that stem from having quite a decent resuming (especially in regards to teaching at-risk students), but failing to be able to have anyone even glance at it amidst the hundreds of other resumes flying around Columbus all vying for the same jobs. Frustration from the fact that my significant other was offered a job right out of nursing school here, because she had been at that hospital during her time in college. While, on the other hand, the school I did my work at is on a hiring freeze due to levies that cannot pass. Anyway, that is enough whining for the moment.

Teaching is a passion. I think almost every day on what I could be doing other than teaching and, to be honest, I see no other alternatives. I find no possible satisfaction in any other field. Well, perhaps, writing a book and making bank from that or becoming a traveling indie musician, but *sigh* I try to remain steadfast in reality. Not that writing a novel is out of the question, but I'd love to write something of merit; even if it is only one book. I want to reintroduce "the great American novel;" not just some murder mystery or teen-angst vampire nonsense. Who am I kidding? I want to teach. I want to inspire. I want to give students the opportunity to be taught by someone that cares for each of them as individual. To urge them to be creative in their thoughts as well as their actions. To explain to them that it is alright if they are not part of the 'status quo,' that they can be themselves and will be better for it. I want to teach them Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitz, and Willy Shakes. To show them Emerson wasn't some old white guy spouting off craziness, but instead show them the wisdom in his words. I want to teach, dammit.

Back to the matter at hand. This blog is a process of considering myself, the world around me, and the realities of life.

1 comment:

  1. D. Reed ... I am struck by the fact that we are like the exact same in our struggles. I can't imagine myself doing anything other than teaching which is why my despair over our current situation is so strong. Thank-you for reminding me I am not the only one. And the next great American novel huh? looking forward to it!

    ~Freckles

    ReplyDelete